BowPad is a small and fast text editor with a ribbon user interface and syntax highlighting.
A few notable features of BowPad:
- syntax highlighting for over 100 file types and languages
- handling of many different encodings, including UTF-8, UTF-16 and even UTF-32
- easy ribbon user interface
- proper dark theme, including themed scrollbars
- navigation hints in the vertical scrollbar
- coloring of open tabs according to their path
- rich tooltips which can show colors or numbers in different bases
- extendable with plugins written in JScript or VBScript
- allows custom color styles, i.e. user defined language coloring
- Auto-completion and code-snippets
And before you ask: the name BowPad comes from the fact that it uses the ribbon user interface.
Ribbon → Bow, Editor → NotePad = BowPad.
And of course we all know that Bowties are cool!
The latest version of BowPad is available for download here. BowPad requires Windows 7 or later. It won't work on Windows XP!
If there is a new version available, BowPad will notify you and offer to download and install it for you.
Windows 7 required
BowPad requires Windows 7 or later. It won't work on Windows XP!
If you're interested to know about what has changed in new versions of BowPad, have a look at the change history.
Report bugs, ask for new features
In case you encounter a bug or you have a feature request, please create a new entry in our issue tracker. But please first do a search there on all issues (not just the new ones) to make sure your issue isn't already reported and/or fixed.
BowPad can show the UI in various languages, but if your language of choice is not available, you can help create it. Find out how here.
If you're interested in writing plugins for BowPad, have a look at the documentation. Once you have the plugin script ready, create a new issue in the issue tracker and attach the plugin there.
If you want to replace the Windows NotePad with BowPad, you can do that by modifying the registry:
- go to
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Optionsand create a new key named
- under the
notepad.exekey, create a new string value named
Debuggerand set the value to
"c:\program files\BowPad\BowPad.exe" /z